Summary of Research
Projects and Activities
Professor Cedric Robinson
Among the empirical questions to be researched are:
- An accurate list of films: where, when, and by whom were
- Who were the Black filmmakers and the makers of
- What were the differences between Black Film and
- What were the occupational and regional origins of Black
- What were the roles of theatrical groups, theaters-owners
in silent film production?
- Where were these films exhibited and who organized
Some of the analytical issues to be examined are:
- What were the narrative, thematic, and subjects-matter of
- What were the influences of gender, class and race
conflict on these films?
- What marketing and technical impact did big studio
productions have on Black filmmakers?
- What were audience reactions to these films?
- What was the critical reaction to these films?
- Were Black films political or merely entertainment?