To UCSB Site Back to Office of Research Main Page To Office of Research Main Page
ToolboxResearcher's Toolbox Seminar CalendarSeminar Calendar Print PreviewPrint Version


International Travel

Export Control License Requirements for Travel to Restricted Foreign Countries

If you travel to Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, or Crimean region of Ukraine for business-related travel, please be aware that UCSB cannot reimburse your travel expenses and you will be in violation of U.S. law if you have not obtained a license from the U.S. Department of the Treasury ahead of your travel dates. If you need to travel to these countries, please contact the Office of Research’s Export Control staff at so we can facilitate your license application. Please note that licenses take between 4 to 10 months to obtain, so notification of travel to these countries must be forwarded to the Office of Research Export Control staff as early as possible.

The Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) in the Department of Treasury requires all business-related travel, including conference attendance, to obtain a special license prior to travel to a very select set of countries. This list is subject to change.

Note that this is not a new restriction. It has been in place for many years and the University of California, as a result of specific, direct guidance from the Federal Government over the past few years has been working toward better compliance with these existing laws across its ten campuses.

OFAC administers a number of different sanctions programs; the Sanction Programs and Country Information website helps the Office of Research Export Control staff determine if a license for business travel is required:

In order to ensure that you can be reimbursed for travel expenses and that you are not in violation of U.S. law, contact the Office of Research Export Control staff ( as soon as you identify a need to travel to any of the countries listed above. Our Export Control staff will help you determine if a license is required and will assist you in applying for it, if necessary.

Please direct any questions or concerns you may have to Brian McCurdy, Research Integrity Specialist, at or at (805) 893-3787.

Traveling with Electronic Devices

What Can You Take with You Overseas?

Under the license exception for temporary export (TMP) you can take usual and reasonable kinds and quantities of tools of trade (commodities and software) for use by you or your employees in a lawful enterprise. The tools of trade must remain under your effective control or your employee's (you or your employee must retain physical possession of the item, lock it in a hotel safe, or have it guarded). Encryption commodities and software may be pre-loaded on a laptop, handheld device or other computer or equipment. All tools of trade may accompany you departing from the U.S. or may be shipped unaccompanied within one month before your departure from the U.S., or at any time after departure. All commodities and software must, if not consumed or destroyed in the normal course of authorized temporary use abroad, be returned as soon as practicable, but no later than one year after the date of export. No tools of trade may be taken to embargoed countries. For a current list of embargoed countries, go to The Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) Regulations. For additional information regarding the TMP "Tools of Trade" License Exception, reference 15 CFR Part 740.9(a)(2)(i).

Office of Research, UC Santa Barbara | Report Site Problems | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Copyright © 2010-2017 The Regents of the University of California, All Rights Reserved. | UCSB website
View Site Map | Accessibility