To UCSB Site Back to Office of Research Main Page To Office of Research Main Page
ToolboxResearcher's Toolbox Seminar CalendarSeminar Calendar Print PreviewPrint Version


Shipment of Controlled Commodities Out of the US

How to Ship a Controlled Commodity

Transfer of commodities and equipment is only controlled by the export regulations when the item is shipped out of the country. Licenses to ship an item outside the United States are required even when the item or equipment is used in or results from fundamental research.

Begin by finding your item or research activity on the Alphabetical Index to the Commerce Control List (CCL).

UC faculty and staff must take these steps to assure that they do not violate the export regulations and become personally liable for the substantial civil and criminal penalties.

Government Processing Time

The processing time for a license application and supporting documents depends on where the exported material is going. You should allow a minimum of 8 to 12 weeks to process your application. Delays of three to four months are not uncommon for obtaining licenses for countries listed on the U.S. Department of Commerce's Entities List which may require review by more agencies and a longer processing time.

Other Resources

Office of Research, UC Santa Barbara | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Copyright © 2010-2019 The Regents of the University of California, All Rights Reserved. | UCSB website
View Site Map | Accessibility