*All events will be virtual until further notice*
PI Academy: Proposal Submission 101
Contact: Maria Napoli, Danielle Chandler
October 16, 2020
Learn the ins and outs of submitting a proposal at UCSB. Meet the Research Development staff and kickstart your research career!
Finding Funding with the Pivot Search Engine
Contact: Kelly Pillsbury
November 6, 2020
Learn how to enroll in and use our campus subscription search engine PIVOT.
NEH Fellowships Proposals: Reviewer’s Perspectives
Contact: Barbara Walker
Thursday, November 12
10 – 11:30 am
Learn how NEH evaluates and scores your application by three faculty members who have served as reviewers for NEH:
- Jenni Sorkin, Associate Professor, History of Art and Architecture
- Ross Melnick, Associate professor, Film and Media Studies
- Vesna Wallace, Professor, Religious Studies
In this workshop, our experts will address the following types of questions, and there will be time for your individual questions:
- How many proposals are reviewers assigned and how much time do they spend on each one?
- How does NEH instruct reviewers to evaluate proposals? What is the scoring system?
- What are the most important things they look for when reading each proposal?
- What are the hallmarks of an excellent proposal?
- What are the common mistakes applicants make?
- How are proposals discussed and ranked in the panel setting?
DOD Research Funding for Biological Sciences and Engineering: Directors and Program Officers Virtual Panel
Contact: Maria Napoli
Friday, November 20, 2020
12:00 - 1:00pm
Research Development is hosting a virtual panel of DoD Directors and Program Officers this Friday, November 20, 12:00pm - 1:00pm as part of a mini-series of webinars on the topic of "DoD Research Funding for Biological Sciences and Engineering."
Collaborative Team Grants / Center Grants Virtual Panel
Contact: Danielle Chandler
Tuesday, December 1, 2020
10:00am - 11:00am
Collaborative team grants and center grants offer rewarding opportunities for supporting long-term collaborative and multidisciplinary research. However, the processes of visioning, planning, organizing, managing, and writing proposals for these grants present unique challenges. In this panel, we will discuss those challenges with UCSB faculty members who can share their perspectives on their recent team grant successes.
NEH Fellowships Proposals: Awardee’s Perspectives
Contact: Barbara Walker
Thursday, December 10
1:00 – 2:30 pm
Learn tips from successful NEH fellowship applicants:
- Kate McDonald, Associate Professor, History
- Mona Damluji, Assistant Professor, Global and International Studies
- Cecilia Méndez Gastelumendi, Professor, Associate professor, History
- Swati Rana, Assistant Professor, English
In this workshop, our NEH awardees will talk about their experience writing a winning NEH proposal, and will address questions such as:
- How did you determine that NEH was a good fit for your project?
- How many times did you apply before receiving an award?
- How did you hone all of your ideas and work into a focused project?
- How far before the deadline did you start working on the proposal?
- What was your process for developing and refining the proposal?
- How do you fit proposal writing into your schedule?
- What were your challenges in writing an NEH proposal?
PI Academy: Early Career Research Programs
Contact: Andrea Stith
December 11, 2020
There are a number of science and engineering funding opportunities exclusively open to young researchers. Attend this workshop to plan your submission calendar, and to learn how our campus handles STEM junior faculty awards that limit the number of campus submissions.