(formerly called "Cost-share")
Project Contributions are resources that are contributed to a sponsored project over and above the support provided by the extramural sponsor of that project. This means that the sponsor does not fully reimburse the campus for all allowable costs associated with the project and the terms of the award may require the University to contribute a portion of the costs for that project. The requirements of the award and the funding source determine the type of contribution.
Additional guidance on project contributions at UCSB are found in the Project Contribution Guidance, and the Proposal Submission Matrix. Questions regarding project contributions should be directed to your Sponsored Projects team.
Requesting UC Cash Project Contributions
This procedure establishes a standard mechanism of requesting UC Cash project contributions for extramural funding proposals. The Office of Research will receive all UC Cash project contribution requests and will coordinate with relevant campus officials (e.g. Chancellor, Executive Vice Chancellor, Deans, Department Chairs, and Center Directors) in order to approve and construct project contribution packages.
- Departmental liaison should email the following to the Office of Research (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least 10 working days before the sponsor deadline:
- UC Cash Project Contribution Request Form
- Detailed Sponsor & Cost Share Budgets
- Project Description/Summary(~1/2 page)
- Detailed justification for requested cash cost share (~1/2 page).Please be sure to address the following questions as a part of your justification
- How does the requested cash cost share enable your project to better achieves its objectives? Why are these costs not included in the sponsor budget?
- What necessary functions of your proposed project will not be possible without the inclusion of the requested cash cost share?
- If cost sharing is not required by the sponsor, do you have an indication that the inclusion of cost share will increase competitiveness? How will the inclusion of the requested cost share make your proposed project more competitive?
- The Office of Research will share the UC Cash request with the relevant campus administration, and a decision will be made whether to approve UC Cash project contributions for the project, and if approved, at what level and who will provide the commitments.
- Upon final decision, the Office of Research will notify the lead PI and departmental liaison of an approval or denial via email.
If a letter of institutional support is required, please specify this along with your request.