The University of California Research Grants Program Office sent the following notification to the Sponsored Projects Office.
As a reminder, RGPO is the grant making entity for the California Breast Cancer Research Program (CBCRP), California HIV/AIDS Research Program (CHRP), Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program (TRDRP), National Lab Fees Research Program, Cancer Research Coordinating Committee (CRCC), and the Multi-Campus Research Programs & Initiatives (MRPI).
Updated April 16, 2020
The below letter contains updated guidance for recipients of Research Grants Program Office grants that were active as of February 1, 2020. The effective dates of this guidance are April 16, 2020 through January 31, 2021.
During this period of uncertainty amid a declared public health emergency due to COVID-19, the Research Grants Program Office (RGPO) of the University of California is committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our staff, grantees, and the community. We recognize that many research projects, institutions, faculty, and trainees are adjusting to new work and personal circumstances and we want to extend our support to everyone effected.
To ensure our grantees have flexibility over the next few months, RGPO is issuing guidelines related to reporting and research continuity:
- Progress and fiscal reports that are due within the next six months (on or before October 1, 2020) will receive an automatic deadline extension of three months.
- As per current RGPO policy, all grants are eligible to receive an initial automatically-approved three-month no cost time extension at the conclusion of their project period.
- As per current RGPO policy, carryforward of prior year funds of up to 25% is allowable without approval.
- Please refer to your institutional policies and processes on modifications or delays to research that are made in response to implementing COVID-19 risk reducing measures, including those of the Institutional Review Board (IRB), Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), and/or other research regulatory bodies. If your institution requires approval of changes to research protocols, please submit those approvals to the RGPO funding program. Notification to our office of any assurance approvals or renewals due in the next six months (on or before October 1, 2020) will receive an automatic 30-day deadline extension.
- If you need to modify the scope of your research plan, please note the following:
- If you need to reduce the scope of your research plan due to COVID-19 related impacts, you do not need to contact the Program Officer assigned to your grant in advance, as this reduction will be captured in your progress/final report.
- If you believe that it will be necessary to alter the approved scope of work or respond to challenges faced by your organization or the communities you serve as a result of COVID-19, please contact your Program Officer. They will be as responsive as possible and work with you to make any changes efficiently.
- RGPO will allow recipients to continue to charge the approved salaries and benefits to currently active RGPO awards consistent with the recipient institution’s policy of paying salaries under unexpected or extraordinary circumstances from all funding sources, Federal and non-Federal.
- For research studies that were disrupted due to the COVID-19 public health emergency, RGPO will allow costs to be charged that are necessary to resume activities supported by the award. The expenses must be consistent with applicable RGPO policies, and directly benefit the approved scope of work.
- Costs related to the cancellation of events, travel, or other activities necessary and reasonable for the performance of the approved scope of work, or the pausing and restarting of grant funded activities due to the public health emergency, may be charged to the RGPO grant with which those events, travel, or activities were associated.
- Grant recipients may continue to use the currently approved indirect cost rates agreed to in the award to recover their indirect costs on RGPO awards regardless of expiration date until a new rate is negotiated.
If you need additional time extensions, or have questions, please contact us at: RGPOgrants@ucop.edu
RGPO is closely monitoring University of California, National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, and other granting instructions for guidance on research practices, and RGPO is considering additional changes to support our researchers in the upcoming weeks. Please visit our website for program-specific updates at https://www.ucop.edu/research-grants-program/.
Please note, due to shelter in place orders in the state of California, RGPO is working remotely. Business is continuing, and staff are available during normal business hours.
University of California - Office of the President
Research Grants Program Office (RGPO)
300 Lakeside Drive, 6th Floor
Oakland, CA 94612-3550
Tel: (510) 987-9386
Grants Management Database: https://ucop.smartsimple.com