Strategic Research Initiatives provides resources for targeted funding searches and offers guidance on interacting with funders including foundations, corporations, or public agencies.
Pivot Funding Opportunities Database
Pivot provides a comprehensive database of funding opportunities worldwide and across all disciplines, as well as a flexible portfolio of tools to support research collaborations.
Strategic Research Initiatives is responsible for coordinating the internal review and selection of competing proposals for institutionally limited funding opportunities.
Funding for Junior Faculty
Curated programs and awards intended for faculty, usually with the rank of Assistant Professor.
Many federal funding agencies periodically release funding opportunities to support the acquisition or development of research instrumentation. SRI has assembled a compilation of known Instrumentation Funding Opportunities from NSF, NIH, DOD, DOE, and NASA.
Funding for Humanities, Fine Arts, Social Science, Education
There are a variety of Humanities, Arts, Social Sciences, and Education (HASSE) Funding Opportunities commonly awarded to UCSB faculty members.
There is a growing number of funding opportunities, from both Federal Agencies and Foundations, that offer mid-career faculty the chance to acquire and build new skills or pursue new and bold research directions to enhance and advance their research program.
Funding Agencies and Programs
- State Grants Database
- California Arts Council
- California Department of Education
- California Department of Food and Agriculture
- California Department of Pesticide Regulation
- California Department of Toxic Substances Control
- California Department of Transportation
- California Department of Water Resources
- California Energy Commission
- California Environmental Protection Agency
- California Environmental Protection Agency Air Resources Board
- California Environmental Protection Agency State Water Resources Control Board
- California Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development
- California Institute for Regenerative Medicine
- California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways
- Employment Training Panel
- State Council on Developmental Disabilities
- State of California Coastal Conservancy
- State of California Ocean Protection Council
- State of California Sierra Nevada Conservancy
- State of California Wildlife Conservation Board
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research
- Army Research Office
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
- Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- USDA Cooperative State Research Service
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Education
- Department of Energy (DOE)
- Federal Laboratory Consortium
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH)
- National Institute of Standards & Technology
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Naval Research Laboratory (Office of Naval Research)
- Office for Human Research Protections
- Office of Science and Technology Policy
Interested investigators should contact Foundation Relations before contacting or submitting an application to a private foundation. Foundation Relations provides assistance in making meaningful connections with foundations and in identifying proposal support services. Contact Janice Taylor for more information.
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation (HASSE)
- Amgen Foundation (STEM)
- Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation (STEM)
- Brain Research Foundation (STEM)
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund STEM)
- The Camille & Henry Dreyfus Foundation, Inc. (STEM)
- Carnegie Corporation of New York (HASSE)
- The Harry Frank Guggenheim Foundation (HASSE)
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation (HFA)
- John Templeton Foundation (HASSE, STEM)
- John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation (HASSE, STEM)
- W.M. Keck Foundation (STEM)
- The McKnight Foundation (STEM)
- The David & Lucile Packard Foundation (STEM, SS)
- Pew Charitable Trust (STEM)
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (STEM, HASSE)
- Russell Sage Foundation (SS)
- Searle Scholars Program (STEM)
- Simons Foundation (STEM)
- Spencer Foundation (ED)
- William T. Grant Foundation (HASSE)
Researchers with active grants from NSF or NIH may have the opportunity to request supplemental funding, on top of their original grant, to fund a range of activities, including additional research, travel, student support, and activities that support diversity, equity, and inclusion. Supplemental grants are awarded at the decision of the cognizant program officer, without needing to go through the traditional grant review process. PIs interested in seeking supplemental funding are advised to begin this process by speaking with their NSF or NIH program officer.
Strategic Research Initiatives Guidance
National Science Foundation (NSF)
- NSF allows requests for supplemental funding, as described in the NSF PAPPG. Common supplement requests include Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU), Research Experiences for Teachers (RET), and Research Assistantships for High School Students (RAHSS).
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- NIH offers supplemental funding through the Administrative Supplements mechanism (Guidance for NIH Administrative Supplements).